Often referred to as Savannah’s Beach, the beaches on Tybee Island are the best you’ll find to sit back, relax, have a drink, enjoy the views and watch the sunrise.
If you are looking for fun and relaxation, you’ll find it on Tybee Island GA.
Grab your flip flops and a bottle of sunscreen. Kick back and enjoy the sun, surf and food.
There’s Something for Everyone on Tybee Beach.
Only a 20 minute drive east of Savannah, you’ll discover welcoming blue skies and salt marshes. This is where you’ll find Tybee Island Beach. Tybee Island GA is commonly known as the most laid-back beach on the southeastern coast, and many consider it to be the best island in Georgia.
You’ll find plenty to do on this charmed island, you can mingle with the locals, nature lovers and the occasional movie star. Start your day with a quite beach sunrise and fill the rest with fun, food (some of the restaurants on Tybee Island have the best food on the coast), and relaxation. Your time on Tybee can be as lazy or as active as you want it to be.
You’ll find miles of beautiful beach; a lighthouse, museums and forts, endangered birds, kayaks, jet skies and bikes to rent and all types of hotels, motels, cottages, B&B or a Tybee beach condo available. There are all types of shops (visit our Tybee Gift Store), restaurants and galleries with historic Savannah nearby.
Where to Stay in Tybee Island GA?
If you’re planning a vacation to Tybee, and have never been to the island before it can be difficult to find the best place to stay. This happened to us on our first visit and unfortunately the spot we chose wasn’t ideal. There are many places on Tybee that you can call home for a week and they are spread all across the island. Choosing the right location really depends on how you plan to spend your visit. Here’s a short guide to help you decide.
1. If you plan to spend a lot of time boating and fishing or if you need a place to dock a boat, the river side of Tybee will suit you best.
2. For the younger crowd or for individuals that want to be in the middle of all the action, the south end of Tybee will provide you excitement. The south end has most of the action. You’ll find many bars, restaurants, souvenir shops and most of the night life on the island. However, it tends to be more congested and noisier than the other parts of the island and often isn’t a good fit for families with younger children.
3. The north end of the island is probably the quietest. There are a couple of bars, a few restaurants and some shops but, not much action. It a good choice if you’re looking for some R & R. This part of the island is also home to the Rivers End RV Park & Campground.
4. If you’re visiting Tybee just to relax and are not really interested in the ocean, then a spot on the interior of the island will be a good choice. These properties tend to be less expensive than the rentals on either the river or ocean, and you’re still within walking distance to many places.
5. Ocean side, mid island is the ideal location for anyone planning to spend time on the beach and in the ocean. This part of the island is quieter and the beaches are less crowded than the south end. Mid island also works well for families, especially those with younger children. Choosing a mid island location puts most people within walking distance to many destinations on either the south or north end of Tybee. This is the location we choose for all of our trips to Tybee Island. In fact, I believe the Beach Club building in Beachside Colony Resort is the best spot on the island. The property is directly on the beach, there’s a fantastic view of the ocean, and the YMCA, public library and Memorial Park are just across the street. The park has tennis, volleyball, picnic areas and a playground. For more information on the best mid island spot see our beach condo review. The number of properties on Tybee with direct access to the beach and ocean views is limited and tends to book quickly. If you’re interested in one of these spots I suggest you make your reservations well in advance.
Tybee Island Weather
Tybee Island weather provides the perfect climate for a romantic getaway or family vacation. Whether you enjoy swimming, fishing or sunbathing by the pool, Tybee’s weather is perfect. If you’re looking for the daily forecast, weather facts or yearly averages See Our Weather Page.
Hotels on Tybee Island
If you’re searching for hotels in Tybee Island GA, we can definitely help. You can find different varieties of Tybee Island Hotels with a number of options that’s sure to satisfy any vacationer’s requirements. Whether you require a place for an ideal romantic get away or possibly just a long overdue vacation with good friends or relatives, you’ll discover it here in one of the several Tybee Island Hotels. Locate a place that’s just right for you with our, Comparison Guide on Tybee Island Hotels.
Tybee Island Restaurants
One things for certain, Tybee Island GA has a great selection of fine restaurants. It doesn’t matter if you’re just looking for something as simple as coffee and a muffin, or a full seafood dinner for the entire family, you can find it on Tybee. World famous and Award winning are just a couple of terms used to describe Tybee restaurants. If you want a romantic dinner for two or fast food for a family of six you’ll find it here. See our Tybee Island Restaurant Guide for all the places on the island. If you’re interested in seafood, we have a review on the Crabshack and the Best Seafood Restaurants on Tybee.
Tybee Island – Things to Do
Many people come to Tybee Island for some much needed rest and relaxation. They spend their entire time on the island swimming, lying around by the pool or on the beach, reading and dining at Tybee’s fine restaurants. But, what if you’re looking for more to do while visiting the island? We have compiled a list of Tybee Island Activities and Sites – Our 20 Things to do in Tybee Island Guide, plus a few extra activities just outside of Tybee. Be sure to visit the Tybee Island Lighthouse, it’s one of the oldest and tallest lighthouses in Georgia; people travel from all across the county for the world class charm that this historic lighthouse offers.
Tybee Island Events
Races, Parades, Parties, Festivals or Tournaments – Tybee has it all. Here is just an idea of some of the events and fun that awaits you on Tybee Island:
- Polar Bear Plunge
- Tybee Mardi Gras Celebration
- Tybee Irish Heritage Festival – Tybee’s St. Patrick’s Day Celebration
- Tybee’s Orange Crush
- Tybee Wine Festival
- Annual Beach Bum Parade
- Tybee Island Tour of Homes
- Independence Day Fireworks Celebration
- Labor Day Beach Bash
- Tybee Island Sea Kayak Races
- Tybee Island Pirate Fest
- Tybee Island Christmas Parade
If your looking for a great time in the fall check out the Pirate Fest! Visit our Tybee Island Events list for a complete schedule. Tybee Island GA is fantastic barrier island, a place you’ll be glad you found and wished you had discovered long before.
If you’re still not convinced that Tybee Island is a fantastic place, see what others have to say.
Accolades for Tybee Island GA:
- “Best Family Beaches on the East Coast” – Fodor’s
- “Best Beach Retreat” – Creative Loafing Atlanta
- Top 10 Vacation Rental Hotspots – TripAdvisor
- Top 10 Best Places to Watch a Sunset – USA Today
- “Best Beaches for Families” – Parents Magazine
- #1 Healthiest Beach in America – Health Magazine
- Top 10 City Beaches in America – AOL
- “Best One Tank Trip” – Atlanta Journal Constitution
- “Perfect Little Beach Town: The All-American Hamlet” – Southern Living
- “Readers’ Choice – Favorite Beach Destination” – Georgia Magazine
Discovering Tybee Island
Do you need directions to Tybee Island? Start by clicking on the RED locator icon on the map below to get directions right to the heart of Tybee. If you need more information see our post on Directions to Tybee Island GA.
I realize how difficult it can be to find your way around in a new place. So, I’ve put together a Tybee Island Business Directory to make it a little easier to find the information you need while visiting the island. Some of the locations you’ll find in the directory include:
- Drug Stores
- Local Government
- Rental Shops
- Retail Stores and more.
The directory lists the local businesses by category and you can also search the directory for a particular business. I listed the basic information you’ll need; name, address, phone number and a map with directions to the business. In addition, some listings provide Website address, Face book page, Twitter feed, Linked In information and other special information about the business.
Visit Tybee Island Georgia for Some Sun and Fun
Please, Be Social and Shared with Others!