Do you need Directions to Tybee Island GA? If you’re traveling by car to Tybee Island there is only one way onto the island, US Hwy 80 E. Regardless of you’re starting point, you have to come through Savannah and get to the Islands Expressway. Depending upon traffic Tybee Island is located 20 to 30 minutes from the Historic district of Savannah Georgia.
Although there are many routes to Savannah, many visitors to the island use the following main highways.
- I-95 is the major highway from New England to Miami and is the main north/south interstate to Savannah. I-95 is about 10 miles from Savannah’s Historic District.
- I-16 is the major highway from Macon and Atlanta and is the main east/west interstate leading to Savannah.
If you need directions to Savannah, start by clicking on the RED locator icon on the map below to get directions to the Island Expressway then, follow the directions below to bring you to Tybee.
Directions to Tybee Island GA from the Island Expressway
1. Continue on the Islands Expressway until you reach an overpass that will merge you on to Highway 80 east. If you need supplies for the island (Groceries, Suntan lotion, Water or any other miscellaneous supplies now is the time to get it) take a right exit just before you reach the overpass, then take an immediate left (you’ll find a Publix Grocery Store and Wal-Mart across Highway 80.)
2. Continue to head east on Highway 80 and you’ll pass over three bridges, once you cross the third bridge, you’re on Tybee Island.
3. Once you’re on Tybee, continue on Highway 80 for approximately 3 miles and there will be a sharp curve to the right (there is a large anchor straight ahead).
4. After you’ve taken the curve, you’re on Butler Ave which is the main strip on Tybee Island. If you’re headed for the south end of the island continue on for approximately 2.5 miles.
5. Enjoy you’re stay on Tybee Island.
The following table will give you an idea of the mileage and time required to reach Tybee Island Georgia from some other cities.