The past few months have been a real problem for most of the country; record setting snowfalls, cold temperatures, school closing, ice, freezing pipes and just an overall nasty winter in general. But finally, it looks like things are getting better and spring is just around the corner. If you’re tired of being cooped up inside and are ready to leave winter behind join us this year for Tybee Island Mardi Gras 2014. This will be the 6th year for the annual celebration with a street party, parade and just a weekend of fun. This year’s event will kick-off on Thursday February 27th and conclude on Saturday March 1st, 2014.
Enjoy the Mardi Gras traditions on Tybee Island and partake in the fun and events for the whole family. In honor of the celebration Tybee Island will be outfitted with purple, gold & green and attendees will enjoy the well known Mardi Gras Parade, live entertainment, a street party, outrageous costumes, contests, fantastic food and so much more!
Tybee Island Mardi Gras 2014 Overview
Thursday, February 27th
- Kick off the festivities with the King Cake Party which will be held at Coco’s Sunset Grille. The lucky person who finds the baby in the King Cake receives $25 in CoCo bucks.
Friday, February 28th
- Beginning @ 7:00 p.m. until ??? Join us at Fannies, 1613 Strand Ave, for the N’awlins Costume and Cocktail Kick-Off Party. Enjoy the live entertainment of Brad Randall & the Zydeco Ballers and listen to some of Randall’s original songs. This is one party you don’t want to miss, besides the music you will enjoy hors d’oeuvres, a costume contest and the Krew cup contest.
Saturday, March 1st
- Celebrate all day long from 12:00 – 9:00 p.m. at the Strand Roundabout (on Tybrisa St. & Butler Ave. on the islands south end).
- Beginning @ 2:00 p.m., enjoy the Tybee Island Mardi Gras 2014 Parade. Dig out your lawn chairs and grab some beads, and claim a spot along the parade route to enjoy the annual Tybee Island Mardi Gras Parade 2014. The parade begins at Memorial Park on Butler and rolls down to Tybrisa Street. Enjoy the outrageous costumes, colorful floats and marching bands!
- Have some fun at the Mardi Gras Street Party. Grab some fantastic Crawfish Boil and Gumbo (which will be served throughout the day) and listen to some great music. From 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. listen to Brad Randall & the Zydeco Ballers, then from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. enjoy the music of Voodoo Soup. Voodoo Soup provides a mix of the James Gang, early Allmans, Freddy King, and possibly Cream and ZZ Top. Time to PARTY!
If you’re ready to shake those winter time blues, plan to get outside and enjoy some fresh air, nice weather, good people, great music, fantastic food and wish winter farewell and welcome in the spring at the Tybee Island Mardi Gras 2014 weekend celebration. If you need a place to stay on Tybee, check out our featured condo review. This is a great location since it’s located just across the street from Memorial Park (the start of the Parade Route), enjoy the parade from the front balcony. Visit our events schedule for other Tybee Island events and our restaurant guide for great places to eat.